The Communities Living with HIV and affected by Tuberculosis and Malaria Delegation (Communities Delegation) became a full voting member on the Board of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund) at its 6th Board Meeting in 2004. Since then, the Communities Delegation has been able to participate fully in the decision-making processes of the Global Fund through its various governance mechanisms.
The Communities Delegation is a group of people living with HIV and affected by Tuberculosis and Malaria, including members from key and vulnerable populations across the three (3) diseases, and has a unique role as a part of the governance of the Global Fund Board – as we leverage the lived experiences of HIV, Tuberculosis and Malaria and bring a human face to the realities of the three (3) diseases.
We are at the forefront of Global Fund advocacy and resource mobilisation. We are committed to ensuring human rights and gender equality in programmes, with particular attention to key and vulnerable populations. We engage with our communities and we influence decisions – with the ultimate aim of ensuring the best prevention, treatment, care and support services for the three (3) diseases.
The Communities Delegation provides a platform that allows us to bring our experience and expertise to the table, influencing Global Fund decisions about the money that shapes and saves our lives. The Members of the Delegation come from different geographic regions and bring different types of experience and expertise, such as related to the three diseases, technical issues and types of communities, including key and vulnerable populations.
THE WORLD WE WANT
The Communities Delegation wants a world:
- Of inclusive societies, where all voices are of equal value.
- That listens to, respects and values community perspectives.
- Where gender equality and human rights – including to health, life and dignity – are not just words, but a reality.
- Where resources are equitably allocated based on need and evidence, and where health services are of the highest quality.
To this end, we want:
- A Global Fund that, now and for always, puts communities first. We want a Global Fund that is by and for those most effected by HIV, Tuberculosis and Malaria. We want communities to be at the heart of decision-making.
- A Global Fund that resources high quality support and services to those that need it the most. We want funding to be distributed equitably, based on communities’ needs, not just countries’ incomes. We want a Global Fund that is global and leaves no one behind.
- Gender equality and human rights to be central to the Global Fund. We want a Global Fund that lives up to its principles, while achieving impact.
- The Global Fund to be accountable – to its Board, its partners and, most importantly, the communities it serves.
- A Global Fund that will be bold and strong in the future. We want a Fund that will be by communities’ side through a changing landscape – working together, building sustainability and saving lives.
The map below provides an overview of current Delegation Members (updated January 2016). For more information on individual members, please click on the respective markers on the map.
For more information on the Global Fund, its activities, and the relevance of the Board to incountry activities, please feel free to contact them.
COMMUNITIES DELEGATION LEADERSHIP
Alternate Board MemberGlobal Action for Trans Equality (GATE)
Director of Programmes
Communications Focal Pointrachel.firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMUNITIES DELEGATION MEMBERS
Abdulai Abubakarr Sesay
MemberCivil Society Movement Against Tuberculosis in Sierra Leone
MemberNational Association of PLHIV in Nepal (NAP+N)
MemberWidows Fountain of Life (WFoL)
Carlos Garcia De Leon Moreno
MemberAcciones Voluntarias sobre Educación en México AVE de México
MemberNational Coalition of People living with HIV in India (NCPI)
Manager Community Services
Joyce Amondi Ouma
MemberSauti Skika Adolescents and Young People Network
Steering Committee Member
Louis Da Gama
Administrative Working Group MemberPrincess of Africa Foundation
Global Health Advocates
Advocacy & Communications Director
Michael Mwiinga Gwaba
MemberTreatment Advocacy and Literacy Campaign (TALC)
Advocacy and Resource Mobilisation Coordinator
MemberGlobal Network of Sex Work Projects (NSWP)
Senior Programme Officer
MemberUganda Network of Young People Living with HIV/AIDS
Olivia Laure Ngou Zangue
MemberMalaria No More
Raoul Fransen-dos Santos
Administrative Working Group MemberInternational Civil Society Support (ICSS)
Senior Policy Adviser
Rodelyn Melad Marte
MemberInternational Civil Society Support (ICSS)
Senior Policy Advisor – Sustainability
Thokozile Nkhoma Phiri
MemberFacilitators of Community Transformation (FACT)
Uwase Nadege Munyaburanga
MemberKigali Hope Association
Volunteer – Programmes