The Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP+) is searching for a skilled and passionate leader and manager to lead its organisation in the implementation of an exciting and ambitious strategic plan.
GNP+ is a not-for-profit global network representing people living with HIV (PLHIV) at the global level. Its mission is to improve the quality of life of PLHIV by advocating for their increased access to essential services and their increased integration into community life. GNP+ believe that the greater and more meaningful involvement of PLHIV is essential to achieving these goals.
Reporting to the Board of Directors and managing a budget of over €2.7M /year, the Executive Director/Global Coordinator is responsible for implementing the strategic plan; executing board decisions and providing leadership and management to achieve GNP+’s mission. The Executive Director/Global Coordinator ensures that there is strict overall administrative coordination, financial management and integrated systems for effective and efficient implementation and evaluation of programmes, including a comprehensive, ambitious and responsive programmatic and advocacy agenda.
The Executive Director/Global Coordinator is responsible for the overall leadership, management, and vision of the organisation. The Executive Director/Global Coordinator is the chief spokesperson for the organization and must manage relationships with a range of local, national and international stakeholders, including community members and leaders in HIV/AIDS activism and other key populations and social justice movements, academics and researchers and the press. The Executive Director/Global Coordinator is responsible for the overall high-level supervision of all staff, operations, programs and activities. The Executive Director/Global Coordinator, in collaboration with the Board, has a shared primary responsibility for all fundraising as well as maintaining relationships with funders and donors. The incoming Executive Director/Global Coordinator will have the opportunity to assume leadership of a seasoned organization in transition, and will work closely with the Board of directors in shaping GNP+ growth and long-term strategic plan and vision.
GNP+ is committed to the ongoing mentorship and leadership development of the successful candidate. A cadre of experienced leaders will be available to the Executive Director/Global Coordinator for support throughout his/her/their tenure.
Over the next two years, key challenges and priorities for the new Executive Director/Global Coordinator will likely include the following:
- Leading the organisation on building the advocacy momentum of global activism of people who are living with HIV as part of broader human rights movement.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with a diverse range of PLHIV network and KPLHIV network partners and stakeholders, including with other key populations or HIV/AIDS advocacy organizations and service providers; grassroots activists; public health officials, bilateral and multilateral policymakers; major national foundations and other funders.
- Together with the GNP+ Board, determine GNP+’s direction for future growth and leading the organization, with close collaboration with the Board, through our next formal strategic planning process.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive resource-development plan and a long-term fundraising strategy in a complex financing environment, including the exploration of new revenue sources (such as individual donors) to diversify the organisation’s funding base.
- Providing support for the board of directors as the organisation transitions to a network of individual people living with HIV that work in close partnership with global, regional and national organizations.
- Overseeing the ongoing growth and development of a diverse staff and staff composition, including in the Amsterdam office and staff stationed abroad.
- Overseeing the organisation’s programs and advocacy as it seeks to fulfil a leadership role in the ongoing movement for the health and human rights of PLHIV and as we continue to improve upon GNP+’s evidence gathering tools, resources and publications as well as expand and amplify the voices and capacity of leaders and activists from the key population communities most affected by HIV/AIDS.
GNP+ Executive Director/Global Coordinator Job Posting Qualifications
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualifications and skills:
- Strong roots and history of leadership in the HIV movement as well as the intersecting movements for social, racial and economic justice, human rights, access to medicines, advocacy with communities of key populations including with youth, MSM, drug user, sex worker and the transgender community, harm reduction, criminal justice reform and for the sexual, reproductive health and rights of people affected by HIV.
- Treatment, research and science literacy of HIV/AIDS, TB and HCV
- Capacity for clear and effective communication, bridge-building and working incoalition with a diverse group of stakeholders, including community members, grassroots activists, advocates, academic researchers, policymakers, donors and members of the media.
- Capacity to lead and develop advocacy strategies in challenging legal, political and economic environments.
- Ability to motivate and coordinate the work of a highly capable staff around the world.
- Experience utilising social media and online communications to advance policy and programmatic work.
- Demonstrated track record as a successful fundraiser.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and commitments simultaneously while maintaining clear focus on priorities.
- Strong English written and oral communication skills, including public speaking. Fluency in a second or third language is also a plus
- Team-oriented, collaborative management style combined with an ability to provide strong leadership.
- Ability to manage all aspects of an NGO in transition, including management of staff, financial management, fundraising, program development and oversight, communications and board relations.
- At least five years of management and leadership experience.
*The Executive Director/Global Coordinator position is based in GNP+’s Amsterdam office, the Netherlands, with substantial international travel required.Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes a salary competitive with NGO’s of similar size and grassroots mission and an exceptional package for vacations, holidays, and leave.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line (GNP+ ED) before the 2nd of February 2017 at 23:59 CET (Amsterdam Time).
People who are living with HIV are STRONGLY encouraged to apply.
GNP+ is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment that values diversity and inclusion and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, and disability, history of incarceration, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.